At Least PETA is Good for Something: Wild-Mushroom Stroganoff

Monday, September 1, 2008

Somehow (don't ask), I stumbled across PETA's Vegetarian Starter Kit. I really don't pay any attention to their organization, it's a bit too extreme for my tastes. So aside from a bizarre collage of celebrities and some disturbing images of mistreated animals, you get to some tasty looking recipes. That is, if you didn't just lose your appetite. [Aside: Pamela Anderson spends her life as a piece of meat, but doesn't eat any? Is that irony?]

So, aside from a good chuckle, the starter kit was good for this awesome recipe for Wild Mushroom Stroganoff:



My local farmers market has some pretty rockin' mushrooms this time of year, and basically we went to the store for just a few items: mushroom gravy (which interestingly is interchanged with 4 cups sauce (espagnole) and vegetable stock on the website recipe), sour cream, and pasta (although many farmers markets sell pasta, Boulder's does not for some reason [9/11/08 Edit: They do now, on Saturdays only] ). Everything else is stuff you should be able to get at a farmer's market or spices that you may already have on hand.

Diagnosis? Awesome! Having tasted it before the sour cream went in, I'm not convinced it's a necessary addition. Once again: using real ingredients makes you a better chef overnight!

I wasn't sure if anyone cared about the specific meals I've been eating, so you can thank loyal reader Jess for this post!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Your mushroom stroganoff just made me hungry. And rest assured that your knives will come soon - so sorry about the delay.

 
The Reluctant Eater - Design by Templates para novo blogger || Strawberry image courtesy of Darren Hester