Quinoa: Going Local During the Winter?

Thursday, November 6, 2008

My farmers market has ended, sadly. For weeks, I have been looking ahead, wondering how I will get local food throughout the winter. If I normally bike to the grocery store, does driving 15 minutes to a local farm negate the environmental benefits of buying locally?

Today, I was told that quinoa (a native peruvian "grain", supposedly one of the healthiest) is actually grown by White Mountain Farm right here in Colorado! I had eaten it back in May, in preparation for my trip to Peru this summer, and loved it! Of course, in Peru, it seemed to end up in just about every other meal. My previous two purchases of quinoa back here in the states: a box from Whole Foods, and the bulk bin from Whole Foods. It's EXTREMELY likely that both of these came from either Peru, Bolivia, or Ecuador, the primary worldwide suppliers.

(photo courtesy of FranUlloa)

Then it struck me. During the summer, roughly 80% of the food I ate came from the farmers market. I would only go to the store for a few additional items, mostly grains, spices, flours, and dairy (or psuedo dairy, like soymilk). Why not use the winter as a time to focus on finding local sources for those types of items? White Mountain Farm here I come!

Sadly, my bubble burst a little this evening, when I was reminded that supporting quinoa in Peru and Bolivia decreases their need to rely on the export of coca leaves, which are made into cocaine. Why must every decision be so complicated? I just want to do what is best for the planet!

Help me decide. Which would you do: buy local quinoa, or support responsible, non-drug crops in Peru?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm complicated decisions.... I don't think White Mountain has a red variety. If you choose a variety that is not available locally then you avoid the question (ignorance is bliss right?)... I would say that you do so much locally, that this special treat from Peru should be considered a regional specialty food.

Anonymous said...

Maybe split your purchases equally between local and export. After all, where does the cocaine end up? Here, right? It's a hard call, yes?

Unknown said...

Dear Reluctant Eater,
Interesting question. My opinion is that Peru as a country should be focused on finding other local agriculture to sell regionally. It is not up to US consumers to stop there cocaine sales...Unless you want to go all vigilante and stop dealers in the US. Our local produce infrastructure is so broken (ethically, environmentally, etc) we need to fix it here before we look at international trade.

 
The Reluctant Eater - Design by Templates para novo blogger || Strawberry image courtesy of Darren Hester