The "vegetarian" debate

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

On several occasions lately, I've had to struggle with whether or not to define myself as a vegetarian when given the choice. Confused? Let me explain.

At a recent BBQ, I reached towards the veggie burgers but there was a sign atop:

"These are for our vegetarian guests only"
Now I do eat meat, but usually when given the choice I would rather have the vegetarian option. However, what if I take one, robbing a real vegetarian (someone who won't eat meat) of their meal?

If I am going to a dinner party, and meat is the main course, I eat it. No big deal.

But what if they ask ahead of time? Will they make a special dish just for me? Will no meat be served, annoying all the carnivores?

When choosing a restaurant, do I want to be the one person who says: "How about instead of that great steakhouse, we go to this tasty new vegetarian place?"

I try to make it such that my "eat less meat" ideals are as inconspicuous as possible. Often it seems like a better strategy for converting/intriguing others than being a guilt inducing vegetarian.

I could (and probably should) take things a little further with avoiding meat myself (and thus "forcing" others to do the same), but I just cannot bring myself to do it very often. Is it because it will seem dishonest when they see me eating meat somewhere down the road?

I try not to over-think it, because one of the goals of all this is to enjoy your food without feeling guilty. But it does come up every once in a while...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Ryan, true story. I used to work at the Omni I Resort. A woman asked me (at the front desk) for the room service menu. She was looking for vegetarian options - and ordered a BLT. When asked about it, she said she was vegetarian but also ate bacon.

I've found that around these parts, when we have friends over, I always have LOTS of veggie burgers because lots of people love them - not just vegetarians.

Claire said...

I would just recommend not being friends with people who are stingy about their veggie burgers. I mean COME ON, who put those BBQ people in charge of who gets to eat what? Next it'll be "Only Germans can eat the Potato Salad"

Plus, speaking from experience, vegetarians go to barbeques with low expectations for being fed, or their own veggie burgers, if truly attached.

Also, to get around the dilemma of hijacking a groups social plan, try suggesting a veg-friendly restaurant, where they serve meat, but also realize that vegetarians have taste. Searching "vegetarian-friendly restaurant guide" will give you a lot of local guides.

Ryan Wanger said...

Too funny about the bacon. Actually, in tapering off my own grocery store meat purchases, turkey bacon was the last thing I gave up!

Claire: I have no problem with your potato salad apocalypse theory cause at least I'd still get to eat it!

But seriously, there just needs to be more restaurants out there that also have good veggie options.

 
The Reluctant Eater - Design by Templates para novo blogger || Strawberry image courtesy of Darren Hester