Monday, September 29, 2008
Kudos to the Cool Foods Campaign who urges us all to "Take a Bite Out of Global Warming". Their goal, which eerily mirrors my own, is to "educate the public about the impact of their food choices across the entire food system and empower them with the resources to reduce this impact".
The Cool Foods Campaign pledge is listed below, with my comments in parentheses.
Top 5 Things You Can Do To Take A Bite Out of Global Warming
- Eat Organic (However, be aware that local farmers often do not have the time & resources to become "certified organic", even though their food would technically qualify as such)
- Reduce Meat & Dairy Consumption (The whole "cruelty to animals" argument never resonated with me, but reducing my impact on the environment does! As for dairy, pay attention to how your body reacts...humans stomachs were not made for bovine dairy)
- Avoid Processed Foods (After the initial shock, this is easier than it sounds)
- Buy Locally Grown Foods
- Say No to Packaging (and bring your own grocery bags to the store with you!)
I've signed the pledge, but I must admit, it was too easy - I'm already doing it with this blog! For those of you who don't have your own public platform, an easy way to promote your eating lifestyle, I've found, is to subtly brag about it to friends. Rather than ask them about their own habits, say things like: "I had the most amazing Sesame Tofu with Wilted Bok Choy last night".
Maybe I should start posting some recipes?
PS - According to the Cool Foods Campaign - 18% of worldwide greenhouse gasses come from livestock...that's more than transportation!




1 comments:
Post a Comment