Thursday, October 30, 2008
- More people are sick during the holidays because of stress and poor eating habits
- There has been recent media coverage of growing meat in a lab
- According to one rancher, cows don't have a problem digesting grain. ?!?
Most referenced local supermarket: Sunflower.




2 comments:
Ok, so Ryan "growing meat in a lab", really? I am thinking of the grocery isle during the holidays and the thousands of turkeys and hams and starting to wonder Where DID they all come from? Why are they all the same size, shape, etc?
So, let's say I decide to stray from my usualy turkey and stuffing dinner for the holidays...do you have any suggestions as a replacement?
I'll do a future post about meat in a lab, for sure. It is a little disconcerting that all the meat in the store looks as though it came for identical animals.
Certainly, I would recommend a turkey that has been raised locally and responsibly (sorry, haven't bought any in CO yet, so I can't say). If you're after non-meat, the sky is the limit.
In my opinion, the important aspect of holiday meals is the tradition. People remember those meals, not because they always ate turkey, but because it was the one time of year where everyone took the time to actually cook and prepare a feast.
My advice is to pick something special that you will enjoy, but don't often eat (maybe a treat like Tuna steaks...which are basically too expensive right now to eat on a regular basis - $22.99/pound last I saw!). If you make this same special meal each year for a given holiday, it won't take long for it to become your own new tradition!
Of course, eating with good friends and family plays a large role...
Post a Comment